Monday, April 30, 2012

A Table Prepared For Me . . .

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1326209

I awake to the blaring of my alarm and my mind immediately begins to think through my day.  After getting ready, I’ve got to get the kids up and out the door to school.  I only have time to grab a cup of coffee and am out the door and off to my job, where I work through my lunch hour and then I’m in my car by four so I can pick up the kids and drop them off at their various practices.  I rush home to fix a quick dinner and then back to pick up the kids.  I breathe a sigh of relief when all my children are tucked in bed and I finally find a moment of peace.



Why am I so busy?  I didn’t set out to have my life to look like this?  I thought I would take more time to smell the roses, cook a nice dinner and have quality time with my children.  But the tyranny of the urgent marches in like a heavy armored foe and I surrender to its clamoring demands. 



The weekend looks no different than the week.  I’m busy catching up on all the things I’ve neglected at home while I’ve been at work; the yard, the laundry, the cleaning.  I carve out time to attend church but return home to continue my mad rush to get everything caught up before my week starts all over again.



Why do I fall prey to busyness?  Why do I allow myself to get sucked into living like the world lives?  Why does my heart flee from having quiet time to reflect and be refreshed?



“Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the Lord your God.  (Exodus 20:8-10 NLV)



I find it interesting to note that this command is included in a list that also says, “Don’t commit adultery, don’t murder and don’t steal.”  (Exodus 20:13-15)



Why do we abhor the murder, stealing and adultery commandments but fudge on the Sabbath commandment?



I can’t help but wonder what we are missing in our busyness.  What does God have waiting for us if we would only slow down and listen?   But our hurry scurry, rush here, rush there schedule will never allow us to discover what it may be.



What if our heavenly Father has a beautifully decorated table with china, silver place settings, gourmet food, a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and He’s waiting patiently for us to sit down and enjoy a dinner He has specially prepared for us.  But we’re in a hurry, we don’t have time, so we kiss Him on the forehead and rush out the door, so caught up in the things we need to do that we neglect to see the tear making its track down His dear face.



What are we missing in our busyness?  Is it worth it? 

 

Will you join me in purposefully taking time to rest, relax and enjoy His presence?


1 comment:

  1. BOY did I need this reminder! (and tomorrow is my tech-free day) Being still, resting, is hard in our culture. But we MUST

    ReplyDelete