Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Treasure in Jars of Clay

For God, who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. 2 Corinthians 4:6-7

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1359201

I know without a shadow of a doubt that I am a fragile clay jar. I’m reminded every day of my frailness when I say something unkind, when I think a hurtful thought, when my heart wanders from God, when I’m jealous of someone else’s success (which happens way to often if I’m really truthful).

And then I wonder, why would God choose to put His greatest treasure in me??

Do you see what it says in 2 Corinthians, “We have this light shining in our hearts but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure!” Why does God use fragile earthen jars to carry His greatest treasure? Could it be that that is when His light shines the brightest?

God sent His Son into this world to shine light into the darkness, to expose people’s sin and to point them to the only answer, Jesus Christ. And now God has left that light shining in our hearts. It seems inconceivable that God would choose us to carry His treasure.

A few years back, my son desired to go to an outdoor nature school for his 6th grade year. We had to jump through quite a few hoops before he was accepted into the school. We were so excited that he got in and then one day I realized that there was the possibility that he wouldn’t be able to go because we were moving out of district. Without even considering God or giving the situation to Him, I got on the phone and called the school and told them our situation. The teacher there encouraged me to call the district and basically lie to get the information I needed. I immediately dialed the district and lied to the woman about our situation. She ended up telling me that it wouldn’t be a problem. I was so relieved! But as I hung up the phone I experienced an overwhelming grief wash over me at what I had done. I recognized that God had given me His deep sorrow over my sin and felt Him say to me, “Kristi you couldn’t trust me with this one thing. Haven’t I worked out all the other difficulties you faced in getting him into this school and in this last obstacle you couldn’t trust me?” Once again, I was reminded of my frailty, of being that clay jar.

But even in the sorrow, I knew God’s love for me and His desire to use me in spite of my brokenness. I knew what I had to do. I picked up the phone and called the district back. I wasn’t able to get the woman I talked to but I got her voicemail and left a message. I told her that I was sorry that I had lied to her and that as a Christian I knew that this was wrong. I had not trusted God to work out this situation but had taken things into my own hands and I hoped that she would forgive me. I have no idea how God used that situation in the life of that woman. But I do know that in my brokenness I allowed God’s light to shine through me.

God uses broken and messed up people like you and me - isn’t that amazing?! When we are breakable clay vessels there is no doubt that it is God’s light within us and not our own!

God’s light shines the brightest in fragile clay jars like us!

2 comments:

  1. I love the thought of the light shining clearer through us because of how fragile our "jar" is. Great thoughts, Kristi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good reminder for all of us.

    ReplyDelete