Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pickin' Blueberries

I got up early on Saturday morning, at least for me it was early, to pick blueberries. I love this time of year in Michigan when all the fruit begins to ripen. And I love blueberries!

I felt a bit nostalgic as I carried my buckets out to the berry patch.

When I lived in Alaska we would pick the most wonderful wild blueberries. A group of us would hike out to the berry bushes swinging our pails. The only thing we had to be concerned about was whether we were sharing our blueberry patch with a bear. And as we walked home, after picking, we would whirl our buckets around and around. The goal was to keep the blueberries in our pail – it was pretty easy for me since I ate most of mine before I got home!

When my family moved from Alaska to California there were no more blueberries to pick and I was brokenhearted. So you can imagine my joy when I moved to Michigan as an adult and found out there were blueberries to pick!

This morning, I tied my bucket around my waste and began to
pick . . . There is something wonderful about a blueberry patch. The bushes are tall and it’s easy to feel like you’re the only one around. This morning I felt the wind brush my shoulder and listened to the quiet chirping of the birds. In the distance I heard a father talking to his son as he picked. It was so peaceful and quiet and the bushes were loaded with berries in various stages of ripening - some were green, others a deep red and finally, the ones I wanted - a dark blue. I plopped a berry in my mouth and enjoyed its sweet goodness. Could life be more perfect?

As I picked my way through bush after bush laden with fruit, I was reminded of the verses in John 15:8-10 (NLV) When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.”

I couldn’t help but wonder, “Am I producing fruit? Is it the kind of fruit that Jesus wants in my life? Am I laden down with fruit like these bushes or are there just a few berries?

I can get discouraged in my walk and feel like I’m not producing much of anything. I struggle with self-centeredness, pride and the need to be in control. But God reminded me out in that blueberry patch that I need to REMAIN in Him. To once again place myself at His feet, to seek Him first in all I do and rest in His love.

What about you? Are you remaining in His love? Are you trying to produce your own fruit or are you letting God do the work in you? Are you discouraged with how little you’ve grown and how far you have to go?

Remember, it’s God who is at work in you. You just need to REMAIN!

2 comments:

  1. Have never been blueberry picking. Praying that my branches are as fruitful as those blueberry bushes. Wonderful post, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, dear cousin. I can relate very much to your experience. Especially after having picked blueberries in Alaska with my family. Thank you for this spiritual reminder.

    Damaris Peterson

    ReplyDelete