Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What time I am afraid . . .

1 John 4:17-18 says (NLV) . . .
“And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid . . . Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love.”

What is the opposite of Trust?  I think it is fear. . .

When I’m afraid, when I take my eyes off of Jesus and put them on my circumstances or on myself – I have now given fear the power to overwhelm me and my trust recedes into the distance.

How do I trust?  I think it is by getting to know this God that died for me. . .

 If I don’t know Him, his character – that He is intrinsically good.  How can I trust Him?

As I write this, I know that this is Truth and I’m reminded of how much I have failed to Trust.  I say I trust God but I tend to find myself living in a world of fear and worry.  And then the worry and fear lead to anger and control.  Because I think that if I can control things, everything will be okay – is that warped or what??.  It is such a vicious cycle – and one that I struggled to break free from until I began to realize what I was actually doing and saying about God by my actions and words.

When I worry, (if I’m going to be truthful) I am really saying “God, you don’t know what is best for me but I DO!  I don’t think I can trust You to handle this – so I’ll handle it!”  Ouch!  Ugh!

What I have actually been saying by living in the world of worry and fear is, “God I believe and trust that you can save me from my sins (which Jesus pointed out wasn’t any different from healing the sick or raising the dead) but even though I know You are the God who created everything, that has power over life and death and then came to earth to die for me – I can’t trust you with the every day things of my life.  I can’t trust You in the living out of my faith.  That sounds absurd when you put it on paper but that was what I was saying every time I have taken matters into my own hands.  Every time I have worried.   Every time I have doubted, and every time I did not TRUST Him.

“Love casts out fear. . .”  That’s what the Bible says and it’s true, do I believe it?  If I know and comprehend this crazy love that God has for me – there is no room for doubt or fear or worry.

Lord, I love the fact that You are TRUSTworthy!  That I can place my worry, fear and doubt on You and I don’t have to carry that burden any longer.  You never intended me to carry it in the first place.  You love me.  You died for me.  You sent Your only Son so that I could know You!

How AMAZING is that!

1 comment:

  1. The biggest trip-up in my walk....f e a r. Thank you, Kristi. We are loved !

    ReplyDelete