Sunday, August 19, 2012

Posture of Prayer

I’ve been thinking a lot about prayer lately.  Maybe it’s because I need prayer like I’ve never needed  it before – well actually I’ve always need it.  But it just seems like prayer has taken the forefront of my mind and heart recently.  But it hasn’t always been this way for me. . .

To be honest, I have wrestled a lot with this thing called prayer . . .



*Why does God want us to pray when He knows what we need even better than we know ourselves?



*What good does my prayer even do?  Who am I to change God’s mind or challenge Him on His ideas?



*How do I know that I am praying in “God’s Will”?  Can anyone really know the will of God?



These and other questions have gone over and over and around and around in my mind as I’ve tried to work out this idea of prayer.  It seems like prayer comes so naturally to some people.  They find no trouble in praying “without ceasing”.  But me, well I’ve always struggled.



But as I’ve grappled with this, I have come to realize that it’s not really about my questions but more about my heart.  And God has shown me that I’ve allowed my questions to hinder my pursuit of prayer.



I've learned that prayer is a conversation with my Heavenly Father.  It's pouring out my heart to Him; declaring my frailness and His strength, my simplemindedness and His wisdom, my need and His provision.  It's a place of vulnerability.



Prayer is a place of humility . . .  it willingly admits that we NEED God, that we are DEPENDENT on Him, that we CANNOT do it without Him.  



Just as a loyal citizen kneels before their king to declare their submission to his decisions, laws and judgments, we proclaim the same thing when we pray.  Turning to God in prayer for guidance and help declares that, “He is God and we are not.”  It’s our way of surrendering to His Ways, His Work and His Will for our lives.



In Psalm 143:6-7  David declares his dependence to his TRUE KING . . .

Let me hear of Your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting You.  Show me where to walk, for I give myself to You.  Rescue me from my enemies, Lord; I run to You to hide me.  Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God.  May Your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.



In these verses it’s easy to see David’s posture in His prayer.  He is kneeling before his King offering his trust, asking for guidance and surrendering to His leading.



Do you struggle with prayer?  Have you allowed your questions to hinder your prayers?  Maybe you’re "kneeling" on the outside but not on the inside?  Whatever it may be, I encourage you to let go and turn to the One who is ready and waiting to hear from you. 



1 Peter 5:6-7 promises,  "So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.  Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."


1 comment:

  1. Amen! It's all about Him and our heart attitude before Him.

    ReplyDelete