Monday, April 2, 2012

Empty Me . . .

I hate feeling empty.  What about you?  Emptiness leaves me feeling hopeless, worn out, used up, exhausted and alone.
 
http://www.sxc.hu/photo/876281

In Ruth 1:20-21 Naomi says, “Don’t call me Naomi. . . Instead, call me Mara, for the Almighty has made life very bitter for me.  I went away full, but the Lord has brought me home empty.”   


We are given only a glimpse of the heartache and sorrow that brought Naomi to the point of such emptiness and despair.  What must it have been like for her to travel home to her native land empty?  Did her heart break a little more with each step she took?  What pain she must have experienced as she traveled farther and farther away from the family she buried.  She was empty emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually. 


What has left you feeling empty? 

 Without the emptiness how can we be filled? 

If we’re already full, how can God fill us? 

Could emptiness be a good thing?

Could it be part of God’s plan?


When we are empty of our self; our arrogance, our own dreams, our thoughtlessness - than God is able to fill us with Him.


 Our emptiness - the loneliness and pain- creates a space for God to fill.  The emptiness allows us to see God in a way we have never seen Him before.  It brings our hearts to a place of surrender.







This week we Celebrate emptiness!

. . . The Empty Tomb . .  where Christ's sacrifice was victorious!
 
I encourage you to embrace the emptiness . . .


May our prayer be . . .
I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change
Empty me
Of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition
And the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me
So I can be filled with You.
      Chris Sligh, Empty Me


No comments:

Post a Comment