Saturday, April 30, 2011

Unexpected Curves

This winter, I was driving down a back road and came upon an unexpected curve. Because the road was icy and I was going too fast, I went right off the road and into a bank of snow. Thankfully everything was okay and I didn’t have to tell my husband (except now he will know, ugh).

That curve caught me totally by surprise!

Life has a way of catching us by surprise, doesn’t it? Maybe it’s an unplanned pregnancy, a trip to the dentist, a spouse that has left, a broken down car, a job loss, an angry embittered teen, a DUI, the loss of a close friend or family member.

We can experience many unexpected turns in our lives. Some curves seem more irritating than anything else and other curves change our lives forever!

I have often found myself asking God . . . Why are You allowing me to experience these turns in my life? Why did you not give me any warning signs? Why didn’t You straighten out the road so that I could avoid them? You’re God, You can do that!

Years ago, I watched a friend of mine cope with an incredible unexpected curve in her life. One day while working she fell from a high platform and was paralyzed from the waist down. For anybody this tragedy would seem devastating but for Beth I think it was even more overwhelming because she earned her living by using her legs – she was an athletic director. Beth is one of the most athletic people I know. She was my volleyball coach when I was in College.

Talking with her one day, I asked her if she ever struggled with anger and bitterness towards God. Her answer didn’t surprise me because I know Beth but it did amaze me. She said, “No, I know that this is His plan for my life and I’ve accepted that. But I want you to know that I’m looking forward to Heaven! I’ll have my legs back and you won’t be able to catch me!"

Beth has taken this unexpected curve in her life and embraced it! She has found her identity in Christ alone and she’s allowing God to use her in the place He as designed just for her.

I’m becoming more and more convinced that life is a series of unexpected curves. And the real question is NOT why did this happen to me or why did You allow this in my life? BUT, how am I going to choose to live my life through this unexpected curve? Will I let bitterness and anger invade my soul? Will I turn away from God? Will I refuse to see His goodness in the midst of the turn? Or will I embrace the pain and surrender my heart to God? Will I bow down to my Maker and acknowledge that He is God and I am not? Will I trust Him when I don’t understand?

How do you respond when your life takes an unexpected turn? Do you spend your time questioning His goodness or do you surrender to His will for your life?

Jeremiah 29:11-12 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

Do you believe this? Will you embrace the unexpected curves in your life? Trusting Him for the things you cannot see and resting in His perfect plan for you.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the day that I met you in the little coffee shop. My world was falling apart. I was a wreck, my whole body seemed to cry out in pain. This was the verse that you gave me then and that I still hold close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete