Sunday, January 12, 2014

Impossible Love

These days we toss the word LOVE around so casually.  “I love mashed potatoes.  I love football games and ham sandwiches.  I love movies that make me laugh and movies that make me cry.  I love hamburgers and apple pie.  I love my spouse.  I love my kids.  I love God.  I love my friends.”




Jesus calls His followers to a love that is way beyond casual. 
 
It's Crazy.  Supernatural. Foolish. 

It's a love that goes outside the norm and takes our breath away.  A love that is costly and knows no limits.  A love that is bold and unexpected.  A love that is lavish and expects nothing in return.

We’re not only to love like this but we’re to love our ENEMIES like this! 
 
Look what Jesus says in Luke 6.27-30 (NLT) . . .
"But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies!  Do good to those who hate you.  Bless those who curse you.  Pray for those who hurt you.  If someone slaps you on one cheek, offer the other cheek also.  If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also.  Give to anyone who ask; and when things are taken away from you, don’t try to get them back."
 

 
Do we love the one who left us for someone else?  The one who held our heart in their hands and carelessly discarded it?   The one who stole our innocence?  The one who emptied us  of all we are emotionally, mentally and physically?


How can we love like this?

We can’t!  Humanly speaking, it’s impossible to love like this.  But our God is the God of the impossible.  He specializes in doing the unexpected, the astonishing!  And He has implanted this crazy, foolish, transcendent love in our hearts that enables us to do what we could never do on our own!

His love enables us to love extravagantly, unconditionally and lavishly!  Will you open your heart to this love the Father has for you and let it fill you so full that it spills out into the hearts of your enemies and friends alike? 
 
Lord, we readily admit that we are frail and human, that our pain and hurt often get in the way of our love.  We need you.  Our love is fickle but Your is faithful.  Our love is conditional but Yours carries no conditions.  Our love is frivolous but Yours is purposeful and extravagant.  Teach us to love like You love.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me sometimes how much on the same wavelength we are on! I was saying yes, yes, yes, all the way through. I also wrote about foolish love--it was a different perspective--but I'm praying in the end my thoughts align with what you've written here--because I know this is of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out your post and yes, Lisa we are running on the same tracks - amazing what God does! Loved what you said that genuine dignity can never be stripped away from us. Thanks for being my blog friend!

    ReplyDelete