Monday, December 31, 2012

Kisses from Heaven

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1385767

At this time of year, I find myself much more reflective and contemplative than I normally am.  Most of the time I rush around, mind and energy focused on the here and now. 

But as this year draws to a close, I've had time to breathe . . .  

I'm aware that I want my life to make a difference and I hope I’ve done a few things well in the year that has just vanished.  But more than that, I find myself with a longing deep in my soul to bring to light all the ways that God has met me this year, how he’s provided, loved and showered me with, what I call, “kisses from heaven”.

 

Kisses, heaven’s grace, the simple gifts God uses to whisper to us, “You are loved, you are special and you are Mine!”  These blessings often cloak themselves in the simple, the mundane but they are love gifts just the same.  We see them in a spectacular sunset, the warm touch of a friend, a loved one’s whisper, “God put you on my mind and I prayed for you today.”  Sometimes these kisses come in disguise and it’s difficult to recognize the blessings that they truly are.

 

I readily admit that some of the “kisses” I’ve experienced this year, haven’t always seemed like His whispers of love in my life; when my beloved son seemingly derailed his life with one poor decision, when a close friend had serious medical issues, when my precious sister was broken and hurting and I couldn’t be there to comfort her.  But I have seen God bring beauty from the ashes in ways I never dreamed possible and poured out blessing upon blessing.  I have been overwhelmed by His goodness as I pause to look back  . . .

 

Ann Voskamp in her devotional, O Thousand Gifts, says this, “Why don’t I keep more of an eye on the number of His graces?  Why don’t I want to know that even though it doesn’t seem like there’s been enough rain, He reigns and He is enough and the bounty is greater than it appears? 

 

The thin places might be the places closest to God and the skinny places might be fuller than they seem, and who isn’t full when they have Christ?”

 

Lord, I want to LIVE with a heart of thanksgiving.  I want to have eyes wide open to glimpse the kisses you send my way and to live in the light of your love all through this year and in the years to come.

 



Praise the LORD!  I will thank the LORD with all my heart as I meet with His godly people.  How amazing are the deeds of the LORD!  All who delight in Him should ponder them.  Everything he does reveals his glory and majesty.  His righteousness never fails.  He causes us to remember his wonderful works.  How gracious a merciful is our LORD!      Psalm 111:1-4


 

No comments:

Post a Comment