Friday, May 13, 2011

One Day My Prince Will Come!

I love fairy tale stories. Ever since I was a little girl listening to my mother read them to me, I have dreamed of being a princess. I love the idea of a prince coming to the rescue of his damsel in distress, for taking a lowly maiden and making her a princess, for never giving up in his hunt for the one he loves. I think that’s why I like Cinderella so much. She was desolate and alone and the prince searched until he found her. And when he found her he brought her into his castle and she became his princess.

When I was in high school, I witnessed a real life fairy tale (maybe you did too) in the wedding of Princess Diana to Prince Charles. I was so excited for the wedding, I remember watching as Diana rode in a beautiful coach pulled by horses and walked down the long aisle of St. Paul’s Cathedral – it was all so beautiful. It amazed me to think that someone actually would experience a life I had only ever dreamed about. But in the years to come, I found out that it wasn’t much of a fairy tale after all.

Six years ago, my husband and I went to England for our 20th Anniversary and I gazed in wonder as we walked down the same aisle that Princess Di traversed. It was a wonderful experience. My favorite moment while we were in the cathedral was when a choir began practicing for a performance later on that evening. They had closed the cathedral to any newcomers but those of us who were already there were privileged to listen. I remember sitting in that place looking up at the beautiful architecture and listening to the amazing a capella music swirl around the cathedral and straight into my soul. It was my own little fairy tale.

On that same trip we decided to take the train to Windsor Castle. As we walked up the winding hill from the station I looked in wonder at the great castle on the hill. Once we were inside, we saw a large grassy area where a group of people had congregated. We were barred from going on the area by a fence but as we stood there watching Queen Elizabeth and Charles came out! The queen stood on a little platform and as we gazed in awe, a Knight on a horse in full regalia galloped around the field.

As I stood there taking all of it in, I couldn’t help but wonder if I had stepped back in time. Was this a fairy tale?

As an adult it is easy to forget about fairy tales in the midst of the craziness of life but on April 30th we got to experience a fairy tale again. . .

I was so excited, I got up at 6:00 a.m. and made scones and tea, my boys thought I was crazy. I watched as Mr. Middleton with great pride gave away his daughter Kate to Prince William. That day Katherine Middleton, a commoner, married her Prince. Her life is forever changed now that she is part of the Royal Family.

As I watched this spectacular event I was reminded of my own real life fairy tale. Years ago, I was poor and desolate; a commoner with no hope, a damsel in distress and Jesus found me! He adopted me into His royal family and now I am a daughter of the King, forever changed! Anxiously awaiting the day when my Prince will come for me and I will live with Him forever. This is a not just a young girl’s wish but a hope that is sure.

Paul says in Romans 5:4-5, And this hope (of salvation) will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

He goes on to say in verse 6-8, When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

Are you a daughter of the King? Have you ever invited Jesus Christ into your life? It isn’t just enough to know that Jesus died on the cross for your sins. You have to receive His gift of salvation for yourself. Once you have received His gift, you are forever His child, adopted into the Royal Family! And you too can look forward to the day when YOUR PRINCE will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment